Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Blog 13: The last one!



When I chose to take this class I thought I was only taking it to get some of my McDaniel plan requirements out of the way and it looked pretty interesting, but as we started to have more and more classes I realized that I was getting much more out of it than I thought. When I was younger I didn't realize all the different messages that can be gotten from fairy tales and how there can be underlying themes throughout them. I just saw them as a form of entertainment, but then I came to realize that they were that and ways to see things like what is right and wrong. I really enjoyed all the material covered in class because we learned about tales from all over and we got to see how different cultures use the tales and how some of them have the same themes even though they originated in a completely different areas. The class wasn't challenging so much because I found myself enjoying what we had to read so it made the class that much easier to talk about because some times I could relate to what was going on in the tales. Sometimes if I didn't fully understand what was going on in a tale I probably should have reread what was going on, but other than that I don't believe that I didn't spend enough time on the material. My favorite part of the class was when we were asked to draw pictures about the tales, whether it was in class with groups or on our midterm it was interesting to see what other people saw when they read the tales. The same goes for when people would talk about what they were getting from each tale because everyone gets something different out of every tale. I love how fairy tales can be seen in everything from an oral story, a written tale, to a movie or even in music videos such as Sonne by Rammstein. That music video was also another one of my favorite parts because it shows something that is simple and seen as something that is for kids to be in a rock video. It shows how diverse of an audience that fairy tales have. The main thing is learned is that fairy tales teach people values, beliefs, rules, and different taboos. They are made mostly for adults and children alike and they are a great source of entertainment. You as listeners or readers and take what ever you like or think of the tale because it is never wrong. A fairy tale is something you can relate to whether your relating to the motif, lesson/moral, or just the character in general. 

No comments:

Post a Comment